My journey began as an apprentice. I had a freshly-minted Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Art from UCLA, and came back to Lido Isle in Newport Beach, where my parents had a home. The next-door-neighbor was completing a major renovation, and I met the designer – and discovered that I was very interested in what she was doing. So I asked if I could shadow her… and the rest, as they say, is history. After a 6-year apprenticeship, I started my own company in 1987.
The first major project that I was given responsibility for was providing the kitchen and living area re-design on Casa Pacifica (President Nixon’s Western White House). I learned that I greatly enjoyed the intensely creative process, as well as meeting, working with, and often befriending the professionals and the clients who hired me.
I’m grateful to have been asked to join in the design on hundreds of custom homes – including multiple projects for some of my clients. The experience of working on a broad array of properties, from ground-up construction, to major renovations, to targeted remodels – and even beach-side trailer home redecorating – has been immensely rewarding. We have fun!
Research and continual improvement help keep me fresh. As a designer, I have eclectic tastes and experiences, and have been fortunate to dive deeply into a number of styles. When I perform work for a client, my task is to bring my best effort forward to help make their vision a reality.
And so to craft an enduring design, I’ve found that ‘simple’ works best – so long as I follow the core precepts of proportion, lighting, flow, texture, and context, the results desired by the client will follow.
- Comprised of detailing the design and coordination of every visible structural element.
- May include developing floor and elevation plans for cabinetry, floor material layout, ceiling layout, lighting, fixtures, fireplaces, railings, stairways, doorways and doors, finish carpentry, beams, and windows, as well as exterior elements like balconies, siding and roofing, patios, outdoor kitchens, loggias, cabanas and pool houses.
- Space Planning
- Interior Design
- May include selection of materials such as stone, tile, flooring, and ceiling, as well as selections of items such as appliances, plumbing fixtures, and decorative lighting, to ensure design cohesiveness.
- Interior Decorating
- May include selection of furniture, fabrics, lighting, accessories, and fine art, to ensure design cohesiveness.
- Construction Observation, Oversight, or Consultation
- Includes conferring with General Contractor and sub-contractors to confirm that installation conforms to plans.
- Ground-up Construction
- Major Renovations (including tear-downs)
- Major Remodels (significant structural changes)
- Targeted Remodels (kitchen, bedroom, bath, living areas)
- Decorating Consultation
Thank you for visiting. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments.